sx salon: a small axe literary platform provides open access to literary discussions, interviews with Caribbean writers, reviews of new publications, and poetry and short prose written by up-and-coming and well-established Caribbean writers. Launched in 2010, sx salon is the online publication of the Small Axe Project, which also publishes the print journal Small Axe: A Caribbean Journal of Criticism. Initiated in 1997 as an independent journal of Caribbean studies, Small Axe is currently published by Duke University Press and has a respected reputation amongst Caribbean scholars, writers and visual artists.
sx salon seeks students currently enrolled in a CUNY college majoring in English, Journalism, or Communications Technology for the opportunity to work alongside a journal editor for one semester while earning three (3) college credits.
POSITION TITLE: Editorial Assistant
- Compose weekly blog announcements related to Caribbean Studies
- Communicate with presses and editorial board members
- Work with editor on grant proposals for journal
- Manage publication agreements and other data for the journal
HOURS: Flexible with a minimum of 10 hours per week, including weekly meetings with the editor.
- Developed research abilities
- Proficiency in word processing
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Facility with internet and email, knowledge of Word Press preferred
- GPA: 3.2 and above
- Student Status: Juniors and seniors
- Eligible Majors/Minors: English, Journalism, or Communications Technology
HOW TO APPLY: Applicant must provide a cover letter, a resume or CV with contact information for two references, a short writing sample, and a copy of transcript (unofficial copy accepted). Please send application materials via email to Kelly Baker Josephs (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line “sx salon internship.”
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 15 June 2014