Black Internationalism and New York City
2nd to 3rd May 2019
New York University
CFP Deadline: 14 January 2019
This conference seeks to promote mechanisms by which academics, activists, policymakers, and other stakeholders enter into greater dialogue and collaboration in areas of conjoined interest. In partnership with the Association for the Study of the Worldwide African Diaspora (ASWAD) – for which NYU serves as the institutional home – NYU’s Center for the Study of Africa and the African Diaspora (CSAAD) will convene every two years, alternating with ASWAD’s biennial conference.
(ASWAD’s 10th Biennial Conference will be held from 5-10 November, 2019 at the College of William & Mary. For more information, please consult the website.)
CSAAD welcomes the participation of communities, organizations, and individuals from across the whole of Africa and its Diaspora, in seeking to foster cross-cultural and cross-spatial engagement. The CSAAD-ASWAD Medial Meeting endeavors to serve as a venue within which communities hailing from the Caribbean, Latin America, North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia might continue to explore connections and identify mutual projects.
To this end, CSAAD issues a Call-For-Proposals, from all interested parties, to participate in the CSAAD-ASWAD Medial Meeting, May 2-3, 2019, on the campus of NYU. The CSAAD-ASWAD Medial Meeting will be on a smaller scale than the biennial ASWAD gathering, and will therefore be much more selective.
We welcome scholarship and presentations on topics that may address, but are not limited to:
– WOMEN AND GENDER IN INTERNATIONALIST FORMATIONS
– MARXISM AND THE BLACK EXPERIENCE
– INTERROGATING HETERONORMATIVITY/QUEERING TRANSNATIONAL SPACE
– NEW YORK AS AN AFRICAN CITY
– AFRO-LATINX MOVEMENTS
– THE PLACE OF HAITI
– FEDERATION IN THE CARIBBEAN
– REPARATIONS AND REPATRIATIONS
– UNIVERSITIES IN AFRICA AND THE DIASPORA
– THE AFRICAN UNION AND THE SIXTH REGION
– THE ROLE OF THE UNITED NATIONS
– BLACK LIVES MATTER IN THE U.S. AND THE WORLD
– COMMUNITY ORGANIZATION AND ACTIVISM
– GLOBAL, REGIONAL, NATIONAL, AND LOCAL POLITICS
Proposals should be 1-2 pages in length. Please send all proposals – as attachments – to CSAAD@NYU.EDU by January 14, 2019. All inquiries may be sent to the same email address. For more information, please consult website.
Above text adapted from webpage.