Application Deadline: 15 February 2019
Brooklyn College of the City University of New York (CUNY) invites applications for a full-time tenure- track Assistant Professor position in the Department of Puerto Rican and Latino Studies (PRLS) with a starting date in August 2019.
Brooklyn College is a microcosm of the ethnically rich borough of Brooklyn it serves as well as a mirror of the wide diversity in New York City itself. A vibrant, intellectually engaged community, our student body comprises individuals from 150 countries, speaking 105 different languages, many of whom are the first in their family to attend college. The College transforms lives by providing access to outstanding undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts and sciences, business, education, and a vibrant general education curriculum in the liberal arts and sciences. The Department of Puerto Rican and Latino Studies (PRLS) in the School of Humanities and Social Sciences at Brooklyn College (CUNY) is an academic unit committed to excellence in teaching and scholarship focusing on Latin@/xs, Puerto Ricans, the Caribbean, and Latin America. The Department promotes transformative education encompassing active citizenship and leadership, providing students with the interdisciplinary knowledge and critical skills to live in a rapidly changing and globally interdependent 21st century.
We seek candidates that are engaged in scholarship whose research and teaching address the intersections of race, culture, ethnicity, translanguaging, emerging bilinguals or English Language Learners, and education that are specific to the Latinx and/or Latin American experience. The successful candidate is expected to:
- Teach 19 hours the first year and 18 hours per year going forward in bilingual education courses at the undergraduate/graduate level (the equivalent of a 3-3 annual teaching assignment), including providing support to courses in PRLS
- Conduct research in Spanish-English Bilingual Education and Puerto Rican/Latinx and Latin American Studies
- Participate in public and professional activities in Puerto Rican/Latinx and Latin American Studies and/or Bilingual Education fields
- Provide student guidance and mentorship in Bilingual Education and PRLS
- Be committed to the mission of PRLS and participate in service to the students, department, college, university, and community.
- PhD from an accredited institution or anticipate PhD completion by August 2019 (ABDs anticipating completion by August 2020 will also be considered) in relevant fields, such as bilingual education, Spanish, ethnic studies, cultural studies, or socio-linguistics.
- Demonstrate an established record and/or ongoing potential for excellence in scholarship.
- Experience teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level – Must be able to read, write, and speak Spanish fluently.
- Knowledge and/or experience with educational technology (Blackboard, Microsoft Applications)
- Demonstrate specific interest in and knowledge of NYS education competencies and content areas, the role language plays in formations of race and ethnicity, both with regard to power relations generated between and across cultures in contexts of colonization and migration, and to the emergence of shared cultural and linguistic experiences.
There are two steps to the application process.
STEP ONE – Submit Application by visiting https://cuny.jobs/brooklyn-college/new-jobs/
Applicants should upload the following in .doc, .pdf, or .rtf format:
- An application letter indicating the Assistant Professor- Puerto Rican and Latino Studies position, describing research, areas of expertise, educational philosophy, and detailing how their teaching, service and/or scholarship has supported the success of students from racial, ethnic, and gender backgrounds that are underrepresented in their academic fields; applicants who have not yet had the opportunity for such experience should note how their work will further CUNY’s commitment to diversity.
- Current curriculum vitae
- A sample of published scholarly writing to which the applicant is the single or primary author – Student Evaluations from two distinct courses
- A sample syllabus for a course in PRLS or Bilingual Education
STEP TWO – Submit Reference Contact Information by visiting www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/hrref/?168
All applicants are required to have three confidential letters of recommendation submitted electronically by their recommenders by visiting the link above and entering the contact information for three (3) recommenders. The online system will automatically email your recommenders a request to submit a letter via the system. Full instructions will be provided.
Emailed or hard copy applications will not be considered.
February 15, 2019
Above text adapted from email.